A Gear List for an Overnight Sed/Strat Trip
Here is a gear list for our sedimentology/stratigraphy field trip in California in May. It won’t be cold, and it won’t rain (most likely), so if you are heading out in different weather, this won’t be sufficient.
- Jacobs Staff and Level or Brunton
- Clipboard or Mapboard
- Field Book: “Rite in the Rain” field books are recommended
- Pencils, erasers
- Grain size card
- Hand Lens
- Rock Hammer, Hammer Loop, and Belt (optional)
- Day Pack
- Sun hat
- Tecnu (This is a soap that prevents poison oak.)
- Water Bottles
- Toilet paper, ziplock bags, paper bag or opaque bag (see Peeing & Pooping…)
(For UCD people, you can rent gear you don’t have from Outdoor Adventures on campus)
- Tent: You can also share with others.
- Ground cloth or tarp to put under your tent
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
Clothing and Personal Items
- Windproof jacket
- Warm Hat
- Work Pants
- Long sleeved field shirt (to keep the sun off)
- Sweatshirts and Sweatpants: nice for camp and for sleeping in.
- Warm coat
- Towel, washrag
- Camp shoes
- Musical Instruments: Never say no to after dinner entertainment!
What you need varies depending on your trip. Think about breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner. Snacks with energy in them are important for some people. I like fresh fruit and veggies (like carrots) as snacks. Hot and cold beverages can be a delightful change from water.
- Sharp Knife
- Pots (if not provided)
- Lunch box/bag
- Plastic bags/containers